- Parks and Recreation
- Programs and Special Events
- Cardboard Sled Races
Cardboard Sled Races
This event has been cancelled due to weather. Participants have been contacted via email.
Join us for the 4th annual Cardboard Sled Races. New this year, the event is themed “Get off My Lawn!” You do no have to participate in the theme, but those who do will be encouraged to decorate their sled like their favorite lawn ornament. Pink flamingos, concrete geese, garden gnomes – this event is for you!
FEE (New this year, there will be a nominal fee associated with each registration.)
- $10 for the first sled
- $4 each additional sled
- 1:00 p.m. Group A (Riders 8 & under)
- 2:00 p.m. Group B (Riders 9-17)
- 3:00 p.m. Group C (Family/Organization 18+)
- Original: Cardboard, duct tape and glue, that’s it. The sled shall consist of ONLY those three items. Painting or coloring the sled is welcomed and encouraged. No cardboard tubing, Styrofoam, cellophane, plastic, wax or any other type of material should be used.
- Catch All: In addition to cardboard, glue, duct tape and paint, supplementary soft material items may be used to enhance the aesthetics of the sled (i.e. yarn, cellophane, egg cartons, etc.). However, the majority of the sled must consist of cardboard material. Cardboard tubing is allowed in this category.
Each team must designate a TEAM PARENT/MANAGER. The team classification is based on the oldest participant (if an adult is racing, the sled will go to Class C). Ex. If two brothers are racing and one is 7 and on is 10, the sled will be classified B.
- Group A (Riders 8 & Under)
- Group B (Riders 9-17)
- Group C (Family/Organization 18+)
Awards will be given out for the following winners:
- King of the Hill – Fastest Sled (Each Age Group and Division)
- Best Dressed – Best looking sled, this includes the small details (One per Age Group)
- Theme Star – Who was the most spirited team-theme! (One per Age Group)
Each team must designate a TEAM PARENT/MANAGER and only that person can register. The team manager will register based on the oldest participant (if an adult is racing, the sled will go to the Family Class) and will add all the sled riders during the registration process.
- Pre-register online starting December 19th.
- Same day registration will be available on site if spaces allows.
Rules & Regulations
- All sled racers are strongly encouraged to wear helmets.
- At least one racer must be in the sled. More than one racer can ride a sled during the race, provided all participants are inside or on top of the sled.
- Format will be single elimination. In the event that there are not many teams in a division, it will change to double elimination.
- Hard items that could be dangerous to you or other event participants cannot be used. The following items absolutely cannot be used: wood, glass, metal and plastics.
- If a sled does not pass inspection or re-inspection by staff, it will not be allowed the participate or may not be allowed on the hill.
- No more than 6 occupants will be permitted on any one sled.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your race time to check-in.
- Racers are allowed to receive a push off at the top of the hill.
- Sled construction shall consist of cardboard, glue and tape.
- Teams will be categorized by the oldest participant of the team.
- The judges have a right to remove participants from categories if they think that a sled breaks the rule of the category.
- The pilot and all riders must have read and understand the rules and have signed a waiver.
- The sled will need to race more than once.
- To qualify as a finisher, all occupants must be in or on your sled rather than chasing it or being chased by it as you cross the finish line. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Parks and Recreation Office
Email Parks and Recreation
Municipal Service Center
4811 N Saginaw Road
Midland, MI 48640
Phone: 989-399-0506 (Weather Hotline)
Monday - Friday
8 a.m - 5 p.m.